The mass airflow sensor detects the mass of air flowing into the engine so that the engine control unit will supply the appropriate amount of fuel. The mass air flow sensor is located between the intake manifold and the air filter. This article will teach you about the mass air flow sensor cleaner alternative options you can use in cleaning.
It is essential to have proper maintenance of the mass air flow sensor as it is one of the essential components in the electronic fuel injection system. There are ways in which you can clean the mass air flow sensor, and here we will be looking at some alternative methods.
Improper maintenance of the mass air flow sensor will not make your vehicle perform well, and you will experience issues like black smoke or hesitation in the engine. As you clean the other component of the car, you must also give due concern to the mass air flow sensor because any dirt that gets in contact with it will result in some problem that may require repair.
Vehicle maintenance is crucial and sometimes costly, so people often prefer alternative ways to clean the vehicle as it may reduce expenses. Mass air flow sensor cleaner alternative also means they efficiently and cost-effectively clean your car’s mass airflow (MAF) sensor. By reading the article, you will know the alternative method of cleaning the MAF sensor and some related facts.
How To Identify a Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor that Requires Cleaning?
You will witness some symptoms when your vehicle has a faulty MAF sensor. These symptoms might not only occur due to faulty MAF sensors but also because of low compression or fuel pressure. But when you experience the symptoms below, it is better to check on your MAF sensor as they may require cleaning to perform efficiently.
- When trying to start the engine or during the turnover, you will feel difficulties. To start your vehicle, you need both fuel and air, lack of any of these materials will cause problems in the car.
- The engine may try to stop performing soon after starting it.
- The engine will not work correctly when the vehicle contains a heavy load.
- The car will jerk when you press the gas pedal or at high speeds. Accelerating a vehicle with a lack of fuel and air will be risky as the car might start to shake and eventually may stop without running.
- You might experience engine hiccups.
- Your engine will work very slowly.
- If you see that the car is releasing dark exhaust, then it is time to check on your MAF sensor as you might have to clean it.
There are some ways in which you can fix a faulty MAF sensor, and you will be learning that in the next section.
The Methods in Which You Can Fix a Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor
Usually, almost all vehicles experience several issues due to prolonged use, improper maintenance or other reasons. Similar to the other vehicle components, you will also experience problems related to the MAF sensors. Here are some ways in which you can fix a faulty MAF sensor.
- The intake tube in the system may contain dust, so make sure you blow it and shake out all the dust. Replace a new air filter so that you protect dust entering the airflow system.
- If you find any debris on the MAF sensor that blocks the functioning of your vehicle, then you will have to clean it using a MAF cleaner. In this article, you will come across a mass air flow sensor cleaner alternative that you can use instead of MAF cleaner.
- If the MAF sensor is well damaged, you might have to replace it with a new one.
Best Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner Alternative
It is necessary to clean the MAF sensor every six months or when you go for an oil change as the maintenance will prevent the vehicle from being repaired. Proper cleaning of the MAF sensor will avoid unnecessary repair expenses and save your time. Always you don’t have to use MAF cleaner when cleaning the MAF sensor. Instead, you can you the alternative methods which are mentioned below.
- You may use a non-residue electronic cleaner which will work like the MAF cleaner, and this will also not leave any residue once the process is complete and when you attach the sensor back to the system.
- By using the rubbing alcohol, you can also clean the MAF sensor, which will be safer than any other MAF cleaner. The cost will also be lower than purchasing a good MAF cleaner.
- Another alternative way of cleaning the MAF sensor is by using WD-40. Although you can use this, it may cause side effects to the MAF sensor. Therefore, you must consider this as the last option when you don’t have any other options.
Using Rubbing Alcohol to Clean the MAF Sensor
Let’s see how to clean your MAF sensor using rubbing alcohol,
- Open the air box in your car, and with the help of a screwdriver, carefully remove the MAF sensor. Make sure you don’t get in contact with the wires. The wires may electrocute you if there is any disconnection.
- Now you can put the MAF sensor in the bag containing rubbing alcohol and then move the bag so that all the debris removes. This method is cheap and will not cause any side effects to your MAF sensor.
- After cleaning, you have to place the sensor for drying. Drying may take more than twenty minutes. Make sure you replace the sensor when it is dried well, as a partially dried sensor may get damaged.
As a vast amount of air goes through the MAF sensor, it may quickly get in contact with dirt, so cleaning the MAF sensor every six months is necessary. If you cannot keep track of your MAF sensor cleaning schedule, make sure you clean it when you go for an oil change. Don’t wait until your sensor has an issue due to a faulty MAF sensor, have proper maintenance to prevent the vehicle from being repaired.
This article on mass air flow sensor cleaner alternative might bring out some alternative hacks that you can use to clean the MAF sensor in your vehicle. We hope this article was helpful.
Discover More: Related Articles You Can’t Miss